Modeling and FEM Simulations of MEMS Devices
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Understand the principles of finite elements simulation (FEM) of a variety of MEMS devices, its applications and the different types of useful studies.
- Learn the methodology and workflow for finite elements simulation with the help of powerful commercial software, widely used in academic and industrial environments.
- Perform advanced analysis of MEMS systems involving the interplay of different physical phenomena (multiphysics simulations).
The concepts addressed in the lecture will be illustrated in the form of live demos.
All participants will receive the course supporting material and a CD-ROM with the models and the examples presented. The participants will also receive a two-week time-limited version of the software used during the course.
Participants should bring their own laptops for the exercise session (the room is not equipped with computers).
The course is addressed to scientists and engineers with a physics or micro-technical background and familiarity with the concepts of MEMS devices.
Introduction to the theory of structural mechanics and electromagnetics
Special considerations at the micro-scale
Fundamentals of FEM for MEMS simulations
- Concept of moving mesh
- Equation Solvers
Applications - Part I:
- Cantilever beams
- Electrostatic actuation
- Surface Acoustic Wave (SAW) devices
--- Lunch break ---
Applications - Part II:
- Thermal actuators
- Joule Heating
- Thermoelectric effect
- Hints on different Study types
Exercise session using the software COMSOL Multiphysics
Closing remarks / Course End
Informationen und Anmeldung